Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Staying on track over the holidays

So I am going back to STL for thanksgiving this year. I am so excited to see my family and spend time with them. My mom already has pretty much my life planned Wednesday-Sunday as I will not be home for Christmas.

We all know during the holidays is when a little extra cushion starts to form. All the delicious foods are just an arms reach away. Cuddling on the couch or drinks out with friends sound way better than working out. HELLLO, I totally get it. It  is my daily struggle. HOWEVER, I have come so far this year with my workouts and eating that I was a bit nervous about being home for 5 without any control over meals and zero gym access.

I am not going to make excuses though. So I started thinking.. How can I enjoy my break but not have the extreme pangs of guilt or having that number go up on the scale when I get home Sunday night.

My first thought was food. Now most of you will think I am crazy for bringing food to my parents house for a holiday, but I have to. I know I will not have tons and tons of healthy options. (My parents will of course have fruits and veggies on hand, but I am not asking them to buy special healthy items just for me). I want to be prepared so I am not tempted.

Down Left then to Right.- Almond Milk Lattes for when everyone else is having hot chocolate, Rice chips for snacking during the day, Ezekiel Bread for breakfasts with PB, Quest/Lara Bars for snacks so I am not tempted while out n about and my go-to lately Oatmeal.

I am also going to pick up a few pre-portioned salads from the deli section that are around 260 calories for lunches.


I have decided I am going to allow myself thanksgiving day. I am not going overboard but I am not going to limit what I eat,  just the portion size. I am not going to say no to every little unhealthy food, but having these other foods are going to keep my on track.

As far as working out goes, I will be without a gym. Luckily for me I have a great boyfriend who keeps me motivated and we already talked about going on runs. From my parents house to the front of the neighborhood (they live in the back) is about a mile. If we run there and back we can have a nice little 2 mile run. I won't have weights to lift, but getting in cardio is better than sitting on my butt. Knowing I have him to keep me accountable makes me feel better.

I am feeling less anxious and worried about being healthy this holiday!
How are you going to keep the lbs away this week??



4 comments:

  1. Haha my mom is the one with all those healthy foods! I just watched her dogs while my parents were in vegas and I called her complaining she had no food in the house, even though it was a Whole Foods stock room in there. I ordered in deep dish pizza instead. Because I have no will power. So go you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job girl - starting with a plan is the best key to success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic! You have so much more willpower than me. I always use holidays like this as an excuse to eat whatever and not think about it. I still need to get my hands on those quest bars, I've heard nothing but amazing things about them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blahh, I should have read this post BEFORE Thanksgiving. I've been trying to be really good about working out and eating healthy since I've gotten back, though, and will definitely have to implement some of your ideas for Christmas vaca. :p
    xox
    giedre

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all your sweet comments, they truly make my day. I do my very best to respond to everyone who leaves a comment!

have a wonderful day :)