Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Healthy Staples

So even though there is no longer a Health/Fitness link up on Tuesdays anymore, I still want to keep posting about my healthy lifestyle change. One it keeps me motivated, and two I like hearing other people's insights and idea. So if you know another link up about fitness or health, let me know :)

So of course I am not expert on any of this. I have only been really concentrating on losing weight and making my focus on being healthy since the beginning of the year. I am constantly scanning pinterest, following health instagrams, and of course healthy living blogs for ideas etc.

HOWEVER, I love sharing what working for me or things I have found helpful.

As we all know, I LOVE TO EAT.

mostly chinese, italian and french fries. But since I want to beat the pudge, rock the skinny jeans and tell my back fat ciao, I cannot eat those things. (well except on very few occasions). Sooooo I am always looking for ways to make and eat healthy foods that are not simply what a rabbit would eat. (PS LOVE SALADS & CARROTS, so i could probs be a rabbit)

but i digress.

So I am on the hunt for healthy foods and ingredients. Now I am broke teacher who spends the majority of her cash monies on her classroom and shoes. BUT I am learning to budget more for groceries, because DUH healthy foods are more expensive than the crap foods.



HOWEVER, with that said I do not eat 100 percent organic or spends wads & wads on groceries. I am an ALDIS shopper. I love it. Sorry if you don't. I buy almost all my produce there and a lot of my my meats. I also buy somethings at walmart that I prefer a brand name for.

I go shopping about once a week because I buy so much produce and I go through it quickly and I make dinner for D & I aobut 5-6 times a week plus lunch for school every day...aka I go through a lot of food for one little lady.

Today I wanted to share a few things that I get every time I shop/always have on hand to throw together (if needed) a healthy meal.

Things I buy from Aldis/Walmart
  • Frozen Chicken Breasts (Boneless/Skinless)
  • Ground Turkey
  • Fresh Veggies- broccoli, asparagus, zucchini, romain lettuce/spinach, Baby Carrots
  • Canned Veggies- Corn, Green Beans (Yes I eat canned food, not every day-but I do)
  • Whole Wheat Tortillas (Aldis has a brand called Fit n' Active, and I like thier flatbreads)
  • Frozen Tilapia
  • Fresh Fruits- Apples, Tangerines, Pineapple, Oranges
  • Siracha (I don't use this a lot, so it lasts a long time)
  • PB2
  • Mrs. Dash Seasonings
  • Garlic (quick and guiltless way to add flavor)
  • Plain Greek Yogurt (I get this at Walmart, its a bit expensive, but I make my 'ranch' dip a lot)
  • Pre-Cooked Chicken Breast Strips (a bit pricey, BUT TOTAL life saver for a single gal)
  • String Cheese
  • Eggs.

Now I have been venturing to an organic store in town and buying a few things every once in a while. I am trying to step outside my comfort zone more, so heading into this store was a step in trying new stuff. These are a few things I have found and liked, that I am willing to spend a smidge more on.

  • Ezekiel Bread. I LOVE THIS. I have been making toast in the morning and sandwiches a lot
  • No Sugar/Preservative jam. (30 cals for a TBSP---I'll take it, and I hardly ever use a whole tablespoon)
  • Rice Crackers, I KNOW you are thinking, EWWW gross. BUT NO!! I love this kind. 
They are yummy, and flavorful. A great alternative for chips etc.

*there are few more things I have tried, but I always get that when i go in/have it on hand*


Those are just a few of my staples that I always keep to stay on track. What are some of your healthy go-to foods??


5 comments:

  1. I love ground turkey. I have almost completely cut red meat out of my diet. I only eat it like once a month when I get a fast food burger (usually i get chicken at fast food when I go there (which is rare) but sometimes a burger is what I crave).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all these tips! And I too stay away from the typical grocery store, and get the majority of my groceries at Super Target. I need to check out Aldi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh girl... I am obsessed with Aldi! I do the bulk of my shopping there, and only pick up a few items each week at either Target or Walmart. I always keep plenty of salad mix in the house (I mostly use spring mix which I toss together with some chopped romaine). A few other veggies and some chicken breasts make for a quick and healthy meal.
    Visiting from the blog hop.
    Beckey
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/queenbsbusywork

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great grocery list - looks like you keep things fresh and have potential to be versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite healthy snack is probably fruit or carrots and hummus. I love lettuce wraps. Sweet Potatoes are a must have on hand for me too. Bananas and peanut butter. I love food.

    French fries for life! (in moderation)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all your sweet comments, they truly make my day. I do my very best to respond to everyone who leaves a comment!

have a wonderful day :)