Thursday, August 8, 2013

Southernisms {Brandy}

THUUURSDAY, ONE MORE FREAKIN DAY TIL THE WEEKEND!!!
I have district meetings all day so I have another lovely lady to fill in for me today!

PS My room is looking great!! I will be taking pictures this weekend to show you next week :)))
 ********************************


Hey y'all! My name is Brandy. I'm a small town, southern girl. I live in, what I like to call, The Heart of the South [aka Georgia]. I love my family, friends, and my animals. Obsessed with music and photography & have an infinite passion and love for spring & fall, football and all thing southern. I blog about whatever I can think of over at Sissy Fits.
I'm excited & a little nervous to be filling in for Sarah today as she continues to prep for school to start. This is my first guest post, so it took a hot minute for me to decide what I was going to talk about. As I mentioned I'm a born and raised Georgia Girl, and I'm very proud to be brought up Southern, . So, I figured that I would talk about a few Southernisms.

Now, not all of these may be exclusive to the south, but they are or can be associated with the south.
While this list can be a mile long, I'll just pick a short bit to talk about.

1. Ain't & Y'all. Ain't. Ever heard "ain't, ain't a word?" Well, here it is. We use it & we use it often.Y'all is a proper part of our vocabulary. The proper spelling (yes there is proper spelling) is y'all, not ya'll. It's really a no brainer as to why. "You all" = y'all, basically.
 http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/fd/ce/6e/fdce6ec7c79f377e28befdb5df6646cc.jpg
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/3b/b3/58/3bb3589ed2728ce9690dcfc52d855e75.jpg 
Example:
Talking to some friends (when addressing them as a whole group), "Y'all should come over!"
But they have family or friends with them, "Well, all y'all should come over!"
Time to go home, "Don't forget to get all y'all's stuff!"

Get it? Got it? Good. Moving on...

2. Nicknames. This may not really be a southernism as much as it is something that I've grown up around. Whether it be personal, or general one, nicknames are pretty common. Mine is Sissy. I actually go by Sissy in everyday life, especially to any and everyone that's known me for more than ohhh 10 years. I've been Sissy since birth & I love it. It's what my husband calls me, my family, really close friends. I tell people Brandy is my "formal name". If you've just met me or you really don't know me, that is what you call me. My husband is Dougie Fresh, Fresh, Fresh to death, D-Fresh (you get it). Your nickname can be any variation of your name, or your "title" Sissy is common for sister-hence where I got it from, my Bubba-. And then there are the general ones. Most have to do with some sort of sweetness, just to name a few: Sweet Pea, Sweetie Pie or just Sweetie or Sweetheart, Honey, Hunny bunch, Sugar, and of course, Darlin'. Don't be offended if you're called any of these names, most of the time it's a good thing, unless you've pissed someone off. Trust me, you'll know how it's being used when you hear it. This name talk brings me to...

3. Mama & Daddy. My mother and father made me, my mother birthed me. My Mama and Daddy raised me and helped make me who I am. While for me, they are one in the same (meaning I'm not adopted or anything) there is still a bit more love in saying mama (or momma) and daddy. You've saw the saying that goes something to the affect, "any man can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a dad (or daddy)." Yea that goes for both parents. More often times than not, people here will refer to there parents as Mama & Daddy, or at least Mom & Dad. Personally, to me, mother and father sounds way too formal. lol Again, I'm feel like this isn't exclusively southern, I feel like there are plenty of people elsewhere who still can their parents momma & daddy. But I could be wrong.

4. Sweet tea, pecan pie & homemade wine. (Nod to ZBB)Food & drinks, my favorite. We love food. Lots of people love food, by southerners love food. Love to cook. Love our kitchens. Food can be an art form and is made with love & recipes can be sacred. You can't deny it though, if you've ever had it, you know, southern food is good. Cornbread, soup beans, greens, chicken (typically fried), potatoes (whether it's fries, tots or tater salad, or they are boiled, baked, or fried, and even raw, yep-try it.), BBQ, burgers, deviled eggs, gravy & biscuits, sausage & scrambled eggs. Deer jerky, boiled peanuts, fresh fruits and veggies, and who can forget pies (pecan, pumpkin, apple, blueberry, blackberry, etc..). But, it's gotta be home made to really hit the spot. We love some down home cookin'. It ain't always the best for your health, but it's good for your soul. And drinks (read: dranks, to us with a drawl). Other than plain jane water (or maybe you have kool-aid), you typically only have a few choices: Coke, Tea or Lemonade. Tea, down here it's always sweet. If you're at someones house & they as if you want tea, just know that 99.9% of time it's sweet. There is no need to specify "sweet tea" unless you're in a restaurant. Coke: Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew, 7-Up,  Mr. Pibb, Sprite...anything referred to in other places as "soda" or "pop" is Coke down here. All of it. And then there is the shine & wine. There are two different kinds of both, the kind you can legally buy & then made in the woods. Both are good, but the can't you have to know people to get it usually better.
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/dd/d1/f7/ddd1f760b9b4bc3faf4ba8be3eb58819.jpghttp://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/aa/92/28/aa92289cd0a22b79da1c149856124648.jpg 
Now that I've made you hungry, let's move right along...

5. Our sweet southern drawl & pronunciation. You know, speaking slow and drawn out. Or even just calling something different down here than you would up north (like coke instead of soda/pop). I think the southern accent is the sexiest accent there is (with British coming in 2nd). But of course I may be biased, having a country man and all. It's funny to hear how different everything is in different parts of the country.
And a southern accent is sometimes one of the hardest to imitate. And it's surely one of the hardest to mask, not that any self-respecting southerner would want to. Unless you're a actor/actress, and even then it's ehhh.. Our pronunciation is downright comical to those who don't speak with a twang. Where we can say "far" but we are talking about "fire", "tar"="tire", "ire"="our" etc,. Aunt is pronounce either "ant" or "aint". Pecan= "pee-can" or "pah-con"? To me personally, it's "pee-con". And we cut our words off, or some times in half, or just run them all together. "What's goin' on?" "Whats' 'at?" (What's that?), "You can do betternat" (You can do better than that), think Jeff Foxworthy and his redneck dictionary, for example "mayonnaise" has two meanings down here.  And lastly, we have other words for things & we understand it. "Take 'at little dohickey over yonder and git (get) rid of it."
See where I'm going with it? Yep, people really do talk like that. Put it this way, if some of us wrote (or typed) like we talked, you'd have to take some time to figure out what it says, and even then you're lucky if you get it right. ;-)
But...
We're a fun bunch though, us southerners.
If you've never been, you should mosey on down this way and come sit a spell, at least once in your life.

And that's all I've got for you right now.
As I said this list could really be a mile long, so I may just have to do this again.

Thanks for having me Sarah, and thank you to all of y'all for stickin' around til the end of this post! I hope you'll come around my way and say hi!

Lovins!
Brandy

*****************************
 photo sarahsignature_zpsf4117207.jpg

6 comments:

  1. Ahhh, I cannot wait to see pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all so spot on. I love being southern. :)

    Sarah, I can't wait to see pics of your classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for letting me takeover today! Can't wait to see your classroom. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! and I love southern accents.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all your sweet comments, they truly make my day. I do my very best to respond to everyone who leaves a comment!

have a wonderful day :)