Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Making a Difference

GOOD MORNING!

I am heading out to work in my room (big surprise) because
 SCHOOL START TOMORROW! OMG. OMG. OMG.
am i ready???? goodness


Open house went well last night & it was just so wonderful to meet the little ones. It was nerve wracking meeting parents but i think over all it went well.

Today I wanted to share a story I heard last week during one of the district meetings I was at. One of the speakers was talking about 'making a difference' which is incredibly cliche in the world of education. It is on EVERY website i looked at about interviewing for a teaching job. Somehow get in there about how you want to make a difference. It was almost redundant. I of course want to make a difference, that is why I am a teacher. But after hearing it so much it almost just becomes something that goes in one ear and out the other.



Anyways one of the speakers first spoke about a student he had who was incredibly successful. He had a wonderful job, family, everything.  They were close when this speaker was a teacher & still kept in touch to this day. He talked about how this student was the all star athlete the honor student. He was successful at whatever he did. He was one of those kids who was going to be successful no matter what any teacher did.



Then he talked about another student. This student was feared by students and staff alike. He didn't come from a lot and did put forth effort. If he had been suspended once he had been suspended twelve times. He didnt have many friends.  He spoke about how he thought for sure this kid would end up in jail someday. As pessimistic as that was, it just never mattered what the teacher did or said, it wasn't making an impact. He went on to say that some years after this student had left the district (whether by graduation or dropping out--he didn't say) he saw the student's father out somewhere. They got to talking and he found out that not only was this student not in jail but had a job, wife & kids. He had turned out just fine. The father turned to the teacher & told him that his son was so grateful to that teacher. The teacher, shocked of course, asked why-

Then he said 'because you were the only one who ever treated him like a human being'.

That last quote really stuck with me. It really hit me, that these kids are coming to me & I need to remember they are just kids. Yes, they need to be responsible and accountable but I need to check my frustrations and keep my impatience at the dorr because i am HUGE part of their lives & how I treat them can and will be reflected in their self esteem, self image and self worth. And even if no one ever tells them how special they are, I can. I have to. It makes me excited and emotional and so unbelievably happy to know that i have that type of responsibility and can have that role in someone's life. It is a blessing i do not take lightly. I really can make a difference and i should never let that opportunity become redundant or let it go in one ear & out the other.

I cannot wait to start this journey tomorrow.
 photo sarahsignature_zpsf4117207.jpg

6 comments:

  1. This is such a wonderful post! You will do fantastic at teaching. You are such a wonderful person! I love you! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me cry! You are going to make a wonderful teacher love! So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing! Teachers really do make a difference...My fifth grade teacher was one of my teachers who made the greatest impact on me and I still talk to him to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVED this post, Sarah! It is so true. I had more teachers who treated us like a number rather than a person and it's sad looking back on that. You have a great personality and I can tell you will make a huge difference in these kids' lives! Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this sarah!! you are going to be an awesome awesome teacher!! best of luck tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great luck tomorrow! Can't wait to hear how it goes! :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all your sweet comments, they truly make my day. I do my very best to respond to everyone who leaves a comment!

have a wonderful day :)